We went back to our kampung a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I. It's fasting month, so it's a dream of every son and daughter to break their fast with their parents. Especially when your parents are living alone. Besides, mothers make the best dishes in the whole world, don't they? My mother lives by herself, I actually wish that I could visit her every weekend. Luckily my little sister is on semester break for the whole month of Ramadhan. Ease my worries a lot. Alhamdulillah.
Normally we only went back for 2 days of weekend, but this time we went back for 5 days! 2 and a half day at my kampung, the other 2 and a half at her kampung. My kampung and her kampung is about an hour away by car. My kampung is in Kuala Terengganu while her kampung is in Dungun.
My mom just moved to a new house. A little smaller than before, but it should only be temporary. We are currently trying to build a house for her. The process is very tedious, it's taking a lot of time. But I kinda like this house compared to the previous one. There's more space around the house for air to blow in. Mom's little garden seems to like it here too. Neighbors are nice as well. There's always free food for breaking fast everyday! And it's near to Bazar Ramadhan.
Alhamdulillah my mom is perfectly healthy. Let me list down some of the dishes that she cooked (with the help of her daughter in law. huhu). We had kelantanese ayam percik, kuih belebat ubi, gerodok ubi (a type of kelantanese dessert), murtabak...hmm, what else? Huhu, she's a well known 5-star chef among my friends. There's more, but those are special ones. The good thing is my wife got to learn a bit on my mom's cooking (^_^) During our stay, I also managed to help put on the colorful lights for Raya (Eid). Mom asked me to shift it a bit but I needed a tall ladder. Well, next time, mom. And as usual, the hunt for slugs at night. Damn slugs been eating mom's orchids! My mom have some really green fingers and she extra love orchids. So we hunted those slugs, tossed them into salt and let osmosis happen naturally :P
Well that's basically my kampung. Now let's talk about her kampung. I love her kampung! It's really like a kampung. My kampung is more like a suburb. Her kampung is more of the village type. The yard is big enough to build another 4-5 kampung houses. And they planted many trees, some are fruit trees. There were longan, coconuts, mangoes, tamarind etc. I got to drink young coconut water everyday (^_^) At the backyard they have several hammocks hanging between trees. Special place for afternoon (and also at night) get-together. They have lots of cats hanging around at the backyard. She loves cats. They also keep chickens for the eggs. More than 10, I think? All in all, I really had the feeling of staying at a kampung. My father-in-law even goes to the sea once in a while! We always get to eat fresh stock of fishes and squids! How cool is that?! That's what I love the most. And mother-in-law loves to cook too!
Even though we're still arguing about who's kampung we will be on our 1st day of Eid, I love her kampung as much as my kampung. Marriage is great, so far. Alhamdulillah (^_^)
2 comments:
Nanti bila ma dah ada rumah sendiri, nampak la kekampungan sket kot. halaman pon lg luas kan. Dah masuk 10 terakhir Ramadhan, doa banyak2, moge dipermudahkan urusan buat rumah utk ma~
Tentang raya, my grandma x sihat kan, I really wish to spent raya with her together with other relatives on the 1st eid. But if ur mom nak balik Kelantan together with u on the first day, she ikut je.
Interesting issue right? Haha
insya Allah. but keep the arguing at home, dear. haha
Post a Comment