Monday, August 01, 2011

Reality Check 1.0

(A few years back I had a dream to have at least RM100k in my account before the age of 30. But now it's more than that. I'd like to share something that I realized about 8 years ago. Something that I have forgotten. 8 years ago I dreamed of having financial freedom. I hope I will never forget this ever again.)

It's not everything, but almost everything needs it. It can be good or evil, depending on the heart of the person holding it. Like a knife, a kind one would use it to peel an apple for a sick friend, but a lost soul would use it to rip a life. Don't get overdosed. Like a drug used to heal, it may also kill. Don't get addicted. Some are willing to shed blood over it. Even love can be broken or strengthened by it.

We are the ones who deem it valuable. Because human are instinctively possessive. Yet we are also civilized. Thus it exists. If we are savage beasts then we can just take other people's belongings (Yeah, like the Zionis). To put it in a simple way, I have something you want, but you may not have anything I want. It exists so that everyone has something that anyone wants. At least that's how it started. Now that greed has taken over, it's everything and anything. It is wealth. Specifically, money.

Whether we like it or not, we are in a system. Or to be exact, we are in a race. Like the rat running on the wheel, or the donkey chasing a carrot. It's a pointless pursuit. If you have watched The Matrix, yeah, it's kinda similar to that. We are being programmed. It's STUDY HARD-GET GOOD GRADES-GET A GOOD JOB-AND GET RICH WORKING system. Our kids and grandkids will keep repeating this cycle. And guess what, we and our descendants will never get rich. You are running and chasing with all your might in your entire life yet in the end at the age of 60 you'd still be asking yourself, "What went wrong?" Well, you didn't do anything wrong. You did everything the system needs you to do. You just didn't do something right, that is to get out of the system!

Ever since 8 years ago I'm trying not to fall into this system. But there's no way out. I'm in a comfort zone it's hard to leave. I'm afraid to take the risk. Afraid that if I get out and chase for something lucrative but uncertain, I might lose everything. So here I am waiting for my paycheck every end of month. It's pathetic! I admire a friend who holds a degree in Biotech Engineering but end up becoming a contractor and building his own company. He's facing hard times now but I'm sure he'll prevail and succeed. He'll be out of these lies and fake promises, unlike us.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go go go! Reach your dream! I will always be your backbone! Jum jadi kaya sama2~

Opie said...

Luppi forgive me, but I also think it might depend on what we want from life.. :)

I mean, if getting rich by 60 is what you're aiming for then sure, the whole study > good grades > good job > get rich thing is just full of disappointments..

We've got the same basics: "It's not everything, but almost everything needs it.."

However, I guess how we go about considering it's absolute importance in our lives greatly differ from this point forward.. ;p

No matter, I wish you the best bro! ^^

lutfi lukman said...

She? Kenapa komen sbg anonymous? Jom2!

**Sofie Shah**
Haha. Kak sofie, it's way more than just getting rich by 60.

And I'm absolutely not against studying or getting good grades or getting a good job. Please do and have all that. What I'm against is the false programming done on most children. And to us, can we guarantee that we are always 100% sincere in what we do?

Anonymous said...

mark zuckerberg ada personal computer programming teacher yang diupah oleh ayah dia, sebab tu dia King betul bab programming sampai boleh buat Facebook.

Ambil ibrah dari kisah dia, aku percaya mesti ada shortcut, atau jalan keluar dari THE SYSTEM.

Ps/Wah ada 100k, lutfi, pinjam rm1800, aku nak bayar yuran master sem depan.

Opie said...

Hm, I'm not sure about constant sincerity, but it makes a good point..

I guess one way to ensure that we're happy and productive in our work is to find one that fits our interests or cause. I know this may not be possible all the time (what with the current economy) but I've always believed that we can get whatever we want -or close to that- if we just try hard enough for it.. :)

And while we're on that subject, are you hinting at starting your own business?? ^^

lutfi lukman said...

**Kelon Eric Bana**
Owh, xtau plak mcm tu history dia. But u have a good point there. People like Mark Zuckerberg is a good example of people who is no longer in this silly race. But we don't have such ability. One thing for sure, his father is the kind of a father that I want to be. To be able to PROVIDE.

P/s: sem depan mana ada lg 100k~huhu.

lutfi lukman said...

**Sofie Shah**
In the next entry on Reality Check, you'll know why I relate it to sincerity.

Not everybody would be lucky enough to have his dream job. Even if they do get their dream job, does it pay enough? And how many graduates have tried their hardest studying hard for years only to end up being modern day slaves?

I don't have the power, time and money to start my own business yet. But I do have such dreams, and hopefully they'll come true one day. We should start somewhere. I praise Kelon Eric Bana for his dadih business. It's a small step for him, but a giant leap for mankind ;)

Dammit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dammit said...

Semua orang boleh jadi macam kawan ko tu. Semua ada potential jadi macam mark zuckerberg. Cuma ramai tak nampak potential dalam diri n takut keluar dari comfort zone. Sebab apa? Susah nak ubah mindset. sebab dah kena brainwash dari kecik. Hampir kita semua berada dalam cycle ni, memang pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Financial freedom is about know the right time to buy and to sell. Lower market price, go and buy at an amount that you already know can invest for quite long term. Gold market is not encourage to buy right now. To sell yes. Buy at lower price, sell at higher price. Invest.

Anonymous said...

Financial freedom is about know the right time to buy and to sell. Lower market price, go and buy at an amount that you already know can invest for quite long term. Gold market is not encourage to buy right now. To sell yes. Buy at lower price, sell at higher price. Invest.

lutfi lukman said...

Selamat hari raya.

**Dammit**
Yep, semua org ada potensi. It's the fear of not knowing that is holding them back. It's safer to stay in the well-lit room even if there's gold waiting for them inside a dark room. Too afraid to open the door. Semua org mampu utk membuka pintu itu, masuk, dan mencari suis lampu. Mgkn kita akan meraba-raba sekejap. Tp suis lampu pasti ada. Open the door, struggle a bit to find the switch, and the gold is definitely there waiting.

**anon**
I'm sorry. To me, financial freedom is not all about investing. Financial freedom is the ultimate goal while investing is only one of the many means to achieve that goal.